Conversion of Excel file with empty sheet fails

Using Batch Processing and Enhanced Batch Processing
ahsan
Re: Conversion of Excel file with empty sheet fails

Post by ahsan » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:46 am

Let me explain what I am doing.

I am doing this conversion on a server(WCF application) having a running print2flash service. I made a request of conversion from my client running on another machine.

staff

Post by staff » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:58 am

If actually you don't develop a plug-in for MS Excel but rather a desktop application,then it is better to use ConvertFile method as previously.
Can you convert documents successfully when SkipEmptySheets is false? If so, what does not satisfy you in this case?

ahsan

Post by ahsan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:21 am

Thanks for reply.

Excel file converts successfully, If
  • if i pass null in third parameter of following line of code
p2fServer.ConvertFile(inputPath, outputPath, settingProfile, batchProcessing, null);
  • There is no empty sheet in the excel file.
But i have to set 'SkipEmptySheets' to 'true' to skip empty sheets.

Reminding you that if i pass 'batchProcessing' to 'ConvertFile' call, it does not give a reply.

Waiting for your kind reply.

staff

Post by staff » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:08 am

ahsan wrote: Excel file converts successfully, If
  • if i pass null in third parameter of following line of code
p2fServer.ConvertFile(inputPath, outputPath, settingProfile, batchProcessing, null);
  • There is no empty sheet in the excel file.
So when you pass null parameter, you get no empty sheets, right? Is it not what you want?

We also reiterate that SkipEmptySheets property is not documented and you should not use it.

ahsan

Post by ahsan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:38 am

staff wrote: So when you pass null parameter, you get no empty sheets, right? Is it not what you want?

We also reiterate that SkipEmptySheets property is not documented and you should not use it.
  • When I pass null parameter and there are empty sheets in excel, It goes unresponsive and give issue of timeout.

When I pass null parameter and there are not sheets in excel, It works fine.

staff

Post by staff » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:27 am

We tried but could not duplicate this problem in our testing environment even with your sample Excel file. During our testing your document was always converted successfully. Which version of MS Excel do you have?

“Before printing timeout" error means that Print2Flash successfully instructed an application (in your case MS Excel) to print the document but the application did not start printing within the time period specified by BeforePrintingTimeout parameter. Print2Flash waits until BeforePrintingTimeout expires and returns that error in this situation. Print2Flash in itself can do nothing about this situation as it is a virtual printer and it cannot convert a document unless an application sends a printing job to it. Please see this forum topic for more information: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5&p=5

ahsan

Post by ahsan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:58 am

Problem:

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800A03EC): Microsoft Office Excel cannot access the file 'D:\RadioSQA\NLR\WIP'. There are several possible reasons: • The file name or path does not exist. • The file is being used by another program. • The workbook you are trying to save has the same name as a currently open workbook.

I found the following solution

Solution:
install suitable Hotfix for MS Excel 2010/2013

• http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2817576

• http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2817505

Then do the following

Create directory "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\Desktop " (for 64 bit Windows) or "C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Desktop " (for 32 bit Windows)